Primary Menu
A burn ban has been lifted for 26 counties in North Carolina, including Cumberland.

The burn ban put into effect on May 24 across Southeastern North Carolina has been lifted, according to the NC State Department of Agriculture. Rainy conditions have helped to lower the danger for fire, the state said.

As we reported on May 24, Cumberland County and 25 other counties in the region were all placed under a burn ban as drought conditions worsened in the region.

“Recent rainfall across central and eastern North Carolina has decreased fire danger,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “With more rain expected across the area through the weekend, we should see even more improvement. Still, residents should burn responsibly. Check for restrictions before burning, and make sure you have a valid permit. Check the weather, and never leave a debris fire unattended.”

The state said that burn permits are now available again in all counties.

“As of 5 p.m., burn permits are available in all counties. You can obtain a burn permit from any open authorized permitting agent or online at www.ncforestservice.gov/burnpermit. All burn permits previously granted in the 26 counties affected by this burn ban were canceled when the ban became effective. A valid permit must be obtained.”

GALLERY: Notable Wildfires Worldwide

Brandon Plotnick is a former sports journalist, now living in the digital space with interests all over the musical and pop culture map.